Did I mention that my backflow valve broke in addition to my sprinkler line? The valve actually broke the previous year, but I was still able to use it. It just leaked. Since I was fixing the rest of the sprinkler system anyway, I decided to fix the backflow valve as well. Easy, right? Just buy one and screw it on. Wrong. I bought the valve, but you can't just screw it back on. You have to cut the copper tubing to get the old one off. I had to buy flux, a blow torch, a copper cutting tool (I think my Dad tried to give me one last time I was as his house, but I thought, "When will I EVER have a need for that thing!?!") more copper tubing, adapters, and solder. Ugh!
My first attempt at soldering were did inside the house. Dad taught me well :-). I thought they were good until I starting trying to put it together and one of the welds broke. I got the entire thing welded together and amazing it does not leak! Yeah! So, if you are ever in need of someone who can work with copper tubing, I'm your man!
The moral to the story is (duh!) always have your sprinkler line blown out before the freeze even if it costs $50 and only takes them 5 minutes! Me, I'm going to get my own air compressor so I won't feel like I'm wasting money by having someone else do such an easy task. It'll only take two year to cover the purchase of the compressor anyway.
Spring break, British style
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment