Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Blog Letter

So, this is going to be more like a letter than a blog. It has been a long time since I've been here.

It all started last Tuesday evening when Ed, Lana, Eddie, Shannon and their two boys showed up at our house to spend the night. Eddie found a conference to attend in Frisco (Copper Mountain Ski Resort), so they came out this way to see us and to spend time frolicking in the snow at Copper.

They spent the day with Kristen on Wednesday at the mall, of course, then left for their condo after supper that evening. Corban had decided to go with them so by the time they finally got back home Kristen had to rush to get supper cooked and him packed before they left.

On Friday, my day off, we went up to Frisco to spend some more time with them and see their cabin. Corban looked exhausted but reported having a really good time so far. The previous day he got to go swimming and had been to the tubing hill which was apparently really fun. I thought we might do that again while we were there, but it was very expensive, so we opted to do other things including skiing. It worked out wonderfully too because I was able to use Eddie's ski equipment and Corban used Cameron's. They also had "express" ski passes that you carried in your pocket and badged through a turn-style to get first in line. It was fun taking Corban for a couple runs on the ski slopes. He fell quite a bit the first time down, but started getting the hang of it. He did much better the second time. Since this was the last day for their ski pass, Eddie was wanting Cameron to ski more as well, so we gave them the equipment at the restaurant at the base of the mountain. I was hoping we could have gone one more time, but it did not work out.

We decided to take the kids swimming that afternoon and they had a blast. I'm not for sure why kids have so much fun swimming. It was just a big pool and not really that much to do. Corban discovered he could use the float noodles as a water bazooka which he thoroughly enjoyed. After swimming we were all hungry so we went to the Blue Moose, a pizza joint, for supper. It was good, but the girls were tired and hard to control. Argh! I guess you have to pay the consequences when your kids don't get naps.

The Kuhl's condo was right in the middle of the ski resort which was fun. They could walk from their hotel to the base of the slopes. When we arrived, we parked with the rest of the ski traffic then took a couple busses to get to their condo. So, to get around, we sometimes had to use the bus. We used the bus to get to the pool and to get to the base of the kids slopes, except for me. I left before they were all ready, walked to one of the close lifts, took it to the top, then choose the appropriate runs to dump me at the base of the lift that the kids used. I was wishing I had a board though. Boarding is so much more fun!

Oh, a story about the ride to the pool. We had to wait quite a while to catch the bus to the pool. When we got there, Kristen realized she had left my suit at the condo. I rushed out to catch the bus, fully expecting it to take over an hour with waits and what-not. By luck, I caught both buses within minutes of getting to the stop, so made it back to the pool in record time. I also went to get the car before leaving so the kids would not have to wait in the cold for the bus and caught that bus really quickly as well. I got back to the condo so quickly the van did not even have a chance to warm up fully.

We left with the girls around 7:30 and they fell asleep immediately. It took a couple hours to get home and we were very thankful.

The Kuhls showed up at our house around noon the following day. We took the kids to the park and the women went shopping at the Pearl Street mall. They saw the street performer who can fold himself into a tiny box, but were too grossed out to watch much of his "show". We made two dishes of Tilapia casserole for supper and it turned out well. The Kuhls spent the night here on Saturday then left around 11 AM Sunday morning to catch their flight back home.

All seemed to have a good time and a good visit so we are thankful.

No comments: