Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Crazy Week

Ok, I'm still having problems blogging on the day things happen. Maybe some day I'll overcome my slacker evening activities. Argh!

"Crazy Week" started last Wednesday when I found that our department at work will be reduced to half a person in 6-8 months. We knew this "offloading" was coming, but I thought they would be keeping a few of us around to do sustainment activities. Fortunately, I knew of a company that is hiring, so I was up until 1:30 AM getting my resume updated and putting together a cover letter. The tech industry keeps life interesting.

Before I started on my resume though, I needed to mark my sprinkler heads because on Thursday we were having our yard plugged. No problem, start the water to the system, turn on the sprinkler and mark the heads. Well, I turned on the water, started the sprinklers and waited for the water to start coming out, but it never came. Turned off the system, walked around the house to the main line and found mud bubbling up from the sprinkler line. Great!

So the kids and I searched the perimeter of the yard trying to find the heads. I finally just made a note and stuck it in the yard telling the hole punchers to stay 6-8 inches away from the perimeter.

Thursday was Corban's birthday, so we took him out to eat at Red Robins. He received the special Red Robins birthday song as well as their birthday sundae, which he reported as being really good.

Friday was my off day so we decided to give Corban his gift in the morning as we really did not have time Thursday evening. He was up at 6:30 AM in anticipation. We gave him an interactive Star Wars game you play on the TV. You use a light saber and swing it in front of a device that detects its motion to fight Star Wars creatures. He has been really enjoying it.

After getting him all set up, I went for a big ride up to Ward and around through Lyons in training for the Triple. 63 miles. Then I starting digging up the sprinkler line to fix the leak. I was thinking (there's a problem) that the line was only broken in one spot. After digging and digging I determined that I need to replace a 22 foot section of pipe. Argh! It was too late to finish tonight.

Saturday I did another bike ride (50 something miles) then out for Corban's birthday party. He decided to go see Ice Age 2 with some friends (3 boys) for his party. It went well and they all enjoyed the movie. Karis had a hard time being "left out" and not getting to go to the movie. She cried for about 15 minutes straight saying, "I want Daddy! I miss my Daddy!" and Kristen finally buckled :). So Karis got to the big screen; her first. She did well and did not even have to leave to go to the bathroom! Amazing!

After the movie we headed back home to open the gifts from his friends and have brownies instead of cake; it was what Corban wanted. He let Kristen decorate the top a little so at least it said "Happy Birthday Corban" on it. The boys then headed outside for their usual game of battling.

After church on Sunday I took the kids to Home Depot to get the sprinkler repair stuff before heathen home. After a few hours of work, and 15 minutes of chasing the neighbor kids around with a 15 foot PVC jousting wand, the pipe was fixed. Thank goodness too because it was getting pretty cold by this point.

Now, if I could just hear back from the company I left my resume at "Crazy Week" can be over!

No comments: