I survived the a-typical group ride today! However, I may have severely damaged my relationship to my only friend after a crashing altercation with his wife! That can't be good for a friendship! Let me back up and tell you about the ride.Every year, Boulder has a free ride they call the B-360 which is a 23 mile ride around Boulder following bike paths, neighborhood streets and bike routes. At the same time, they have a ride called the B-180 that is only 12 miles. Corban and I have been wanting to do a ride longer than our normal 3ish mile route, so the B-180 sounded just perfect.
The ride was really well organized and had power bars, water bottles and patch kits at the start and end of the ride as well as an aid station with cookies, orange slices, bananas and water mid-way through the ride. The only problem was that the route was not very well (horribly!) marked. There were signs sprinkled (~1 per mile!) around the coarse to help riders find the route, but the main route indicators were small (itsy-bitsy!) letters painted on the sidewalk.
We had just passed under an overpass, and were heading up the hill on the other side, the two boys out in front, followed by Sheri. With my momentum,
I started overtaking Sheri, so moved off to the right while starting to slow down. As I was coming up beside her, she noticed the route turned to the right while the boys had missed the turn. She hollered up to the boys to turn around as she started turning to the right, right into me. In my infinite and paniced wisdom I blurted out, "Woah, woah, woah." Who in their right mind says, "Woah, woah, woah" when they are about to run into someone. Why couldn't I have said something more dramatic like, "Watch out!" or "I'm about to clobber you!", but no. I said, "Woah, woah, woah." Well, we bumped and then she took a dramatic crash, scraping her knee and "twisting" her ankle. After a brief rest, she was thankfully able to finish the ride, but allowed her husband and kids to gather snacks for her at the finish.That evening, Sheri ended up going to the ER and found out that ankle is broken! Wah! Sounds like it will be 4-6 weeks in a cast and crutches! Wah! I feel so bad!
After Corban finished the ride, he started wishing we had done the 23 mile route instead. He was pretty tired after the 12 mile, so the 23 would have been a great accomplishment. Maybe we can do it later this summer. And I'll try not to crash him. I wonder if Sheri will want to join us?!?!
5 comments:
It is hard to be excited about the fun experience for Corban after the terrible accident. So sorry about that. I guess bikers don't have to abide by the "pass only on the left" rule, do they. Maybe they should. I can just see the headline, "Husband's Best Friend Clobbers Wife." Ooh - not good.
I hope Jeremy is not going to come after Kristen for retribution!! I am sorry that happened to Sherri. Did you fall too or were you able to stay on your bike? Lana
Truth be known, Rho can't resist the temptation to overtake every rider he sees in front of him. Who would have known this would include a nice, innocent friend out for a leisurely family ride? Shameful, Rho, really.
It's "whoa," by the way. Not "woah."
No wonder that little red line is under the word, "woah"?!?!? Who would have known?!?!
I, with my cat-like reflexes and squirrel-like balance, was able to stay upright, like a cow. You ever try to tackle a cow? It's nearly impossible!
Post a Comment