We did most of our packing up Thursday and finished loading Jeremy's truck on Friday morning, then started our ride around 8:30 AM. The forecast for the day was 40% chance of rain, with a high of 58 degrees at State Forest, so colder and wetter then ideal conditions. I tried to back out, but was met with slight opposition, so we forged ahead.
I felt good most of the ride, but I had made several adjustments before this ride. I put on a new seat, new shoes and new pedals. In hind-sight, I should not have made so many modifications before such a long ride. The seat did fine, but I had trouble with my cleats/shoes. I adjusted the cleats once, but by about mile 60 the ball of my foot was really hurting bad. Starting at mile 80, the climbing became very steep and was to last 15 miles. At mile 92 I had had enough. I came around a steep corner, saw the next bend and another steep climb and just stopped. It felt SO good to get my shoes off and let my foot rest.
So, how did I make it on to the camp site? Hitch hike? Kinda, but not really. Sheri had past us as she drove to the campground, stopping to give us more water and food. We agreed that she should drive on to the camp site, drop off some stuff, then return to pick us up. We had hoped to make it to the top of Cameron pass, but my foot was just hurting too bad. So, thankfully, she rescued us.
Friday night was our (Wilcoxes and I) night to cook for all (two families). We made fish tacos for everyone. It was pretty good, but we pan cooked the fish instead of grilling them. It would have been better if we could have grilled them, but that was not an easy option.
I borrowed Jeremy's tent along with a sleeping pad as my sleeping arrangement, so had a tent all to myself. During the night, we received some rain. Fortunately, the water stayed outside of the tent for the most part.
The next day, though, during the middle of the afternoon another rain storm struck. I jumped in my tent to "read" Eldest. As I was reading, I noticed that I had standing water in the bottom of my tent. I quickly piled all my bedding on the sleeping mat to keep the remaining dry parts out of the water.
After the rain, we moved all my stuff out of the tent in order to dry out the tent so I'd be able to sleep in it. We were successful in getting the tent dry, but then it started clouding up again. Sure enough, it started raining again and this time it was an impressive downpour that showed no signs of letting up. In fact, it was raining so hard we opted to drive into town to get supper instead of trying to cook in the rain. This was a good solution, because about the time we were done eating, the weather was clearing up. Fortunately, the two families shifting sleeping arrangements around and I was able so sleep in a different, mostly dry tent. Parts of my bedding were still wet, but if I did not move around much during the night I did not notice the cold spots. It actually worked out OK.
Sunday was pancakes for breakfast (no syrup because both families forgot it), big fire, then started packing up. Wouldn't you know, right as we put away our tarp rain protection it started raining again. Thankfully, it was a light rain and did not last long.
What else did we do while there? Went for a hike on Saturday to a geo cache. Daniel found it right as the rain and lightning started :). Perfect timing? We also fished (or helped the kids fish). Jeremy brought a two-man kayak that we enjoyed paddling on the lake. I, being the only loner, had to go by myself. I saw a few otters during my turn. We also drove around Saturday evening, using the rangers suggestions, trying to spot moose. State Forest is touted as the moose capital of the state, but no moose were sighted. I rode Jeri's bike and did not fall off. Hunted bugs in the lake (found some leeches that only briefly attached themselves to the palm of my hand).
The End.
3 comments:
Welcome back to blog-land! I loved your story. Yes, I thought the name of that state park was unusual when you mentioned it last week. You would think that they could have been more creative with the name.
Well, I couldn't tell if you enjoyed the weekend or not. Sounded fraught with problems, but fun anyway. Hope everybody had a good time.
I almost gave up on your blog! I'm happy to see you blogging again. Speaking of which, I'd better post a new blog soon or I will lose everyone too!
If you used a feed reader, like Google Reader, you would not have to go check to see when someone posts a new blog. The blogs would come to you!
Post a Comment